You can EMAIL me at alcoholicsmind@gmail.com for questions and comments!

Search This Blog

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Drunk Stories - Have You Ever Woken Up and Not Know Where Your At?

To break away from the "darker side" of alcoholism and talking about my life as a practicing alcoholic I'm going to answer some questions that I've been asked, or have thought about in my messed up head. If you have any drunk stories of yourself that pertain to the topic at hand, feel free to leave a comment or send me a message and I can post it for you on the Web.





Have You Ever Woken Up and Not Where Your at?


First of all, if you are having or have had blackouts from drinking that's not a good thing and you should ask yourself some serious questions about your drinking habits. Are you an alcoholic? Do you suffer from alcoholism? Do you need help or rehabilitation? Ok, there's my disclaimer and to keep the "teatotaler police" from sending me emails about "romanticizing" alcoholism.. Ok, on with my drunk story....

I have woken up and not know where I was at quite a few times, but today I'll just share one drunk story in particular that comes to mind.

Quite a few years back I went to visit a friend of mine who I grew up with and went to high school with until he moved away to another town. Of course whenever we got together drinking was going to be involved. The thought of going to visit and checking out a movie would have been absurd, right?

Well, it all started off great and we were reminiscing about old times, and knocking a few cold ones down. We ended up going to a karaoke bar and were having a great time. He got up and sang karaoke, he introduced me to his "girl friends", and was having a good time hanging out. Soon after we started bar hopping and the booze was starting to flow.

The night was beginning to turn into a "blur". People I didn't know were buying shots, and before I knew it the lights were coming on and they were calling for "last call". Considering that me and my friend are both alcoholics and we didn't want the night to end we had to decide what we were going to do next. Considering he lived in a college town there were plenty of college parties going on. We hit a few dorm parties and by then I was ten sheets to the wind. There were hundreds of people drinking way too much and it wasn't long before I lost track of my friend.

So here I was drunk in a town were I only knew one person, and I didn't have a clue where he was. Mind you, this was back before cell phones! I can't really continue on with this story after that because I blacked out so I have no idea exactly what happened after that. I can only tell you where I woke up and how we came to a conclusion of what probably happened.

The next day I woke up in the back seat of a car (in mid August!) soaked in sweat. It must have been 120-130 degrees inside the car. The windows were rolled up and inside the car was an absolute oven. I can honestly say that I could have died that day. I was in a serious stage of dehydration. I was completely dehydrated from drinking to the point of blackout and was passed out in a car with the windows rolled up in the middle of August.

I managed to open up the car door and fell outside on to the ground. Even though the outside temperature was probably 90 degrees, it felt like an ice cooler in comparison to being inside the car with the windows rolled up in mid August! I was seeing spots, and wasn't sure if I could stand up. I looked around and nothing looked familiar. I woke up and didn't know where I was at, and was ready to pass out. Not from being drunk, but from dehydration. I looked inside the car and found a water bottle that had about an inch left of blazing hot water in it. Not knowing how long it had been in there (not that I cared), I guzzled down the two swallows that it contained.

Looking around nothing seemed familiar. I didn't know where my friend was, didn't have a phone, and really didn't know where to look. I was outside of an apartment building. He could have been somewhere inside one of a hundred different apartments. I checked my pockets and luckily had a few dollars left. I took off walking towards a gas station that I spotted off in the distance. I bought the largest bottle of water that they had sucked it down and went back in to buy another one! When I walked out of the gas station a complete stranger came up to me and said "there you are!" "We were looking for you!" Apparently I was partying with this guy, we had finally found my friend, and we made it back to the apartments in separate cars.

My story has a huge gap in it, where I don't remember a thing. Till this day I wonder what actually happened that night. Whose car I was in, how I got there, and if they ever tried to get me out of the car. Those are questions that will never be answered. At least I lived to tell about it!!

............

Waking up and not knowing where your at is a pretty scary experience, and it could be a deadly one as well. Have you ever woken up and not know where your at? I would love to hear your drunk stories or answer any of your questions. Please leave a comment, ask a question, or send me your drunk stories. I'd be more than happy to post them. Please only send original content that you wrote. I don't want to by infringing on any copyright material and have to deal with all of those hassles. I'm an alcoholic and already have enough problems of my own ;)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know this is kind of off topic, but since I find my own drunk stories overplayed, I would like to pose some questions instead.

I have read some of your posts and what I find curious is that you mentioned you had pursued sobriety in the past. What made you do so then? Do those reasons no longer apply? Obviously I am not an alcoholic, but I do care about one. I guess I am looking for a little bit of hope. Maybe that hope lies with what motivates one to start on the path to sobriety in the first place.

Is the initial reach for sobriety due to one life changing event? Or, is it a million little things when all added up together equals a need for change? What tips the scales one way or the other? I would be curious to hear your thoughts on this.

Plus Size Sports Apparel Review Girl said...

That's a tough question. I would think that the answer would be different for everyone. Some alcoholics drink until the disease ultimately takes them unfortunately. Others, wake up one morning and decide they've had enough. The Alcoholics Anonymous saying of "When your sick and tired, of being sick and tired" bodes true for many.

The tipping point for someone to reach for sobriety is probably different for everyone as well. I have had DWI's, been to jail, and still continued to drink. That alone would be enough for many to quit drinking. Others..... well, that's not the case.

I have jumped on and fallen off the wagon too many times to count. Some of the times that I "jumped on the wagon" have been from fear of legal consequences, other times it was fear of physical consequences, and other times out of shame, guilt, and depression from hurting others around me.

I hope the person whom you care about finds what they need to make the effort to reach for sobriety. Thanks for your comment and I would love to hear how everything works out for you and your loved one.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I appreciate it. I guess the only thing I can do is continue to hope that everything will work out; for him, and you as well. :)

Anonymous said...

Sadly, yes, yes and yes. I've woken up in the middle of a driving taxi before having absolutely no idea (I can only assume a concerned stranger put me in one) how I got there. Until recently (when I decided to stop drinking) I would call out to my boyfriend almost involuntarily each morning ''have I done something wrong/are you mad at me?'' - because 5/7 days, I couldn't remember anything that I'd done the night before/how I'd gotten into bed, and would be so sure that I'd done something stupid on my way there. 5/7 days, I had - at least once a fortnight he'd find me passed out on the couch, wine spilled all over myself/the couch/the rug, or there'd be mess everywhere that I couldn't even remember making. It was that bad.

I think one of the biggest misconceptions about alcoholism is that it's just typically middle-aged men who suffer it - wrong. I'm 23 and no-one apart from my boyfriend (not even my family and closest friends) would ever suspect that I'm an alcoholic.

Have You Ever Woken Up and Not Know Where Your At?