You can EMAIL me at alcoholicsmind@gmail.com for questions and comments!

Search This Blog

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Herbal Supplements for Liver and Protect against Damage, Alcoholics

 Herbal Supplements for your Liver

Protect Against Damage From Alcohol Abuse


I have been an alcoholic since I was 15 years old. 23 years later I am still an alcoholic at 38. I have quit for short periods of time throughout my life, but have always fallen off of the wagon. So until I am able to finally get it right and quit drinking altogether I have did a lot of studying about what kinds of herbal supplements support and protect liver function in Alcoholics.

First of all cirrhosis of the liver cannot be reversed, and that has always terrified me. So after doing a lot of research the best form of defense practicing alcoholics can take (other than abstaining from alcohol entirely) is to buy herbal supplements that can protect the liver from alcohol induced liver damage.  Anytime I am going to be out drinking I always take a Milk Thistle capsule to help my liver filter the toxins more efficiently. I also take one after I get home (If I'm not too wasted and forget). I then also take one the first thing when I get up the next morning.

I am sure that I will get plenty of comments like "Why don't you just stop drinking"..  Well, it's an addiction that I haven't quite been able to conquer. If you ate too much fast food, I wouldn't berate you for exercising to try and offset the damage you were doing to your body! Get it? I just had to throw that out there because I have been writing about my alcoholism on this blog since 2008. I've come to know what kinds of posts will get a response from the teatotalers out there :)

So, What is Milk Thistle?

Milk Thistle is a plant that contains a powerfull flavonoid called silymarin.  This powerful flavenoid increases bile flow which helps the liver eliminate toxins more efficiently from the liver. It's also a powerful anti inflammatory and antioxidant.

Milk Thistle has been used for over 2000 years to treat liver related diseases.  In fact did you know that hospitals keep it on hand in case someone comes after eating the deadly "deathcap mushroom". They are immediately given Milk Thistle and this increases the patients chances of survival significantly and reduces the damage done by the mushroom.

So if I could take any herbal supplement to help my liver work more efficiently and to protect myself from liver damage, I would definitely take Milk Thistle. I take it every day, and so far so good! I have actually had my liver enzymes levels checked last year and they were in the normal range. After 23 years of drinking, the Milk Thistle must have given me some benefits. Since I am not a doctor, here are a few links if you want to read more about Milk Thistle and its benefits as a herbal supplement.
 http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/milk-thistle-000266.htm
I have also found that taking dandilion herbal supplements also protect your liver against alcohol induced damage.  I have provided both products below if you would like to supplement your diet (and your drinking) with two great herbal supplements than can help prevent liver disease in people who battle with alcoholism everyday.

Milk Thistle Capsules - Protect your Liver against damages from alcohol!

Vitamin Shoppe Milk Thistle Extract - Liver Protection - 300 Capsules - Milk Thistle


Solaray Milk Thistle Extract 175 MG - 120 Capsules - Milk Thistle

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Thank you so much for this information. I wish I would have known maybe it could have helped my brother who passed 2 years ago. You are right, every thing can be an addiction that is hard to beat. God Bless and keep the faith, Cindy, Kalamazoo

Have You Ever Woken Up and Not Know Where Your At?